SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The USC Upstate women's tennis team is set to host three matches in as many days this weekend, welcoming South Alabama, Northern Kentucky and Lipscomb to town for the final home matches of the year.
The Spartans (10-5, 2-2 A-Sun) will host South Alabama Thursday at 3 p.m., Northern Kentucky Friday at 2 p.m. and cap the weekend with a 10 a.m. first serve Saturday against Lipscomb. Friday's contest against the Norse will serve as Senior Day, with Upstate honoring Allison Beeler and Julie Bell as they play in their final home matches.
- After opening the season with back-to-back home conference losses, the Spartans bounced back last weekend with a crucial Sunshine State swing, pulling out 4-3 victories over FGCU and Stetson.
- Upstate dominated the early-season A-Sun weekly awards in 2013, capturing three of the first five weekly honors and doing so in consecutive weeks. Isabel von Stryk's weekly award on Feb. 20 was sandwiched between Constanze Kuerten picking up the honor on Feb. 13 and Feb. 27.
- Taylor Cohen and Bell returned to their dominant ways in doubles action last weekend, earning a pair of victories at the top spot to secure back-to-back doubles points. The duo also went unbeaten in singles action as well to seal the weekend road sweep in Florida.
- South Alabama enters Thursday's match with a record of 13-7. The Jaguars have won in two of their last four outings, defeating Middle Tennessee and Louisiana-Lafayette and falling to No. 31 Memphis and Troy.
- Northern Kentucky enters weekend play with a 0-12 mark in its first season at the Division I level. The Norse captured their lone point of the season in a 6-1 loss at Western Kentucky.
- Lipscomb is coming off a 4-2 victory over Mercer last weekend, improving to 7-10 overall and 2-3 in the A-Sun. The Bisons have won three of their last four matches as they travel to ETSU Friday before coming to USC Upstate Saturday.
Last Time Out: The USC Upstate women's tennis team rallied from a late deficit last Saturday afternoon to knock off the Stetson Hatters 4-3 at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center in Atlantic Sun Conference action.
Next Time Out: Following three straight home matches, Upstate will cap the regular season with back-to-back matches in the Peach State next weekend, traveling to Kennesaw State Friday and Mercer Saturday.