DeLand, Fla. – For the fourth consecutive match, the USC Upstate volleyball team earned a 3-2 victory after defeating the Stetson Hatters in five sets Friday evening during ASUN action inside the Edmunds Center.
Upstate improves to 10-9 overall and 2-0 in the conference for the first time since joining the league, while Stetson falls to 3-14 on the season and 0-2 in conference play.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 19-25, 25-20, 22-25, 25-12 and 15-9.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Upstate pushes its record in five-set matches to 6-4 this season and has won each of its last four contests by 3-2 scores.
- Madison Haake increased her double-double streak to 11 matches after compiling 47 assists and 11 digs.
- The Spartans had three players, including Haake, finish with double-doubles in Montana Swanson and Rebecca Shearer. Swanson tied her career-high of 13 kills after hitting .375 for the match.
- Emily Koelling led Upstate offensively with 14 kills while Kaleigh Kelley was one of five players to finish with double-digit digs after collecting a match-high 19.
- McKenna Foster led the Hatters with a double-double on 21 kills and 17 digs.
- The Spartans hit a season-best .275 as a team.
- Set One: Upstate opened the first set on a 5-1 run and went up by four after two straight errors by Stetson. The Hatters came back to tie the set at 9-9. Brianna Tellschow capped a run of three consecutive points for the Spartans, giving them a 12-9 advantage. Stetson took the lead for good courtesy a 12-4 run and went in front 21-16. Upstate got to within three, 22-19, late, but the Hatters scored the last three points to win 25-19.
- Set Two: The teams traded the first 14 points of set two as the Spartans evened the score at 7-7 on a Stetson attack error. Upstate then went on an 11-6 run and took an 18-13 lead on another Hatter error. Shearer gave the Spartans their largest lead of the set, 23-17, after connecting on a kill. Koelling gave Upstate the 25-20 victory with her kill.
- Set Three: The Spartans held an early 7-6 lead in the third set following a Callie Yeargin kill. Stetson responded with a 9-3 run and went ahead 15-10. The Hatters led by as many as seven, 19-12, before Upstate staged a late rally. The Spartans managed to get to within two points twice with the last coming at 24-22 on a service error. Stetson captured the set on the next play with a kill.
- Set Four: Upstate started the fourth set on a 5-1 run before the Hatters answered back to tie the frame at 7-7. Trailing 8-7, the Spartans reeled off eight consecutive points to take a 15-8 lead after a kill from Koelling. The eight straight points tallied by Upstate was part of a 15-2 run that pushed its advantage out 22-10 capped by Shearer's kill. The Spartans went on to win the set 25-12 when Tellschow collected her ninth kill of the match.
- Set Five: Upstate continued its run into the fifth set by jumping out to a 10-1 lead after scoring the first five points. The Spartans held their largest lead of nine points twice during the set starting at 11-2 with a kill by Tellschow. The last came when a bad set by Stetson made the score 13-4. Upstate earned the 15-9 triumph on a kill from Koelling.
- The Spartans travel to Fort Myers, Fla. and will face Florida Gulf Coast at 7 p.m. Saturday evening.