Fort Myers, Fla. – The USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 3-0 (15-25, 22-25, 13-25) Saturday evening in ASUN play at Alico Arena.
Upstate falls to 10-10 on the season and 2-1 in conference play, while Florida Gulf Coast improves to 16-2 overall and 3-0 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Callie Yeargin finished with a team-high nine kills to lead the Spartans offensively.
- Madison Haake dished out 19 assists and Kaleigh Kelley led all players with 20 digs.
- Leigh Pudwill had a match-high 16 kills for the Eagles and Maggie Rick added 39 assists.
- Three FGCU players finished with double-digit digs led by Courtney Stephens with 12.
- The Eagles out-hit Upstate .265 to .097.
- Set One: FGCU began the first set on a 12-4 run and used a Spartan ball-handling error to go in front by eight. Upstate cut its deficit down to five, 13-8, after going on a 4-1 run capped off by a service ace from Kelley. The Eagles took their largest lead of the set at 22-11 on a Spartan attack error. FGCU won the first set 25-15 off a service error.
- Set Two: Upstate held an early 10-5 lead in the second set when Brianna Tellschow connected on a kill. The Spartans maintained their five-point advantage several plays later when Haake's solo block made the score 15-10. The Eagles rallied back to tie the frame at 20-20 and finished on a 5-2 run after that. FGCU captured the set, 25-22, with a kill by Pudwill.
- Set Three: The Eagles recorded seven of the first eight points and led 7-1 to start the third set. Upstate would get as close as five after that following a kill from Alexa Lagaly putting the score at 11-6. FGCU broke the set open courtesy of a 10-4 run and back-to-back service aces by Giovanna Borgiotti increased the lead to 23-10. A combination block by Pudwill and Marlene Moelling gave the Eagles a 25-13 victory.
- The Spartans host North Florida and Jacksonville next weekend, Oct. 7-9, in a pair of ASUN matches.