Kennesaw, Ga. – The USC Upstate volleyball team suffered a 3-0 (21-25, 16-25, 16-25) defeat to the Kennesaw State Owls Friday evening in ASUN play from the KSU Convocation Center.
The Spartans fall to 11-12 on the season and 3-3 in conference play, while Kennesaw State improves to 12-8 overall and 6-0 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Brianna Tellschow led Upstate offensively with eight kills and did not commit an error in the match. The junior finished the contest with a .571 hitting percentage.
- Madison Haake dished out a team-high 18 assists and Kaleigh Kelley added 12 digs.
- Kelley Marcinek led three Owls in double-figures with a match-high 12 kills, while Liesl Engelbrecht and Sydni Shelton had 10 each.
- Kristi Piedimonte contributed 40 assists and Katarina Morton posted 15 digs.
- KSU out-hit the Spartans .303 to .124.
- Set One: Upstate used three straight points early in the first set to take a 10-9 lead capped by a Kennesaw State attack error. The Owls would then use a 10-4 run to go in front 19-14. The Spartans fought back to cut their deficit down to 20-18 after posting a 4-1 run of its own and were down two after Tellschow connected on a kill. Kennesaw State held off Upstate to win 25-21 on a kill from Engelbrecht.
- Set Two: The opening 12 points of the second set featured three ties and saw the Spartans even the score at 6-6 on a service error by the Owls. Upstate stayed within two points over the next several plays and Alexa Lagaly cut the KSU lead to 12-11 off her kill. The Owls broke the set open after that courtesy of a 10-3 run and would lead 22-13. Kennesaw State went on the capture the frame by a score of 25-16.
- Set Three: The Spartans scored the initial two points of the third set before the Owls jumped out to a 7-3 advantage. Upstate fought back to within one, 7-6, on a KSU attack error, and a kill each from Tellschow and Emily Koelling. Kennesaw State took its largest lead of the frame at 20-10 after going on a 13-4 run. The Spartans got as close as seven points twice after that with the last coming at 21-14 on a kill from Dominique Arnold. The Owls would win the third set 25-16.
- Upstate continues its road trip on Saturday evening with a 6 p.m. EST match at Lipscomb.