Nashville, Tenn. – Callie Yeargin finished with a team-high 14 kills as the USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the Lipscomb Bisons 3-1 (22-25, 25-21, 15-25, 16-25) Saturday evening in an ASUN match inside Allen Arena.
Upstate falls to 11-13 on the season and 3-4 in conference play, while Lipscomb improves to 12-7 overall and 5-2 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Yeargin concluded the match with a .355 hitting percentage to go with her 14 kills, and also contributed eight digs and two assisted blocks.
- Madison Haake dished out 30 assists and Kaleigh Kelley added 11 digs.
- Carlyle Nusbaum led three Bisons in double-figures with a match-high 18 kills and had a double-double after tallying 12 digs.
- Kayla Ostrom and Morgan Elmore combined for 49 assists, and Brittany Thomas compiled 16 digs.
- Lipscomb out-hit the Spartans .301 to .152, while Upstate held a 10.0 to 5.0 advantage in total blocks.
- Set One: The Bisons jumped out to an early 8-4 lead in the first set before Upstate answered back to tie the score at 12-12 when Emily Koelling and Rebecca Shearer combined for a block. Lipscomb would go back up by four, 18-14, before the Spartans used an 8-4 run to even the score again at 22-22 on Tamara Kaiser's service ace. The Bisons scored the last three points to win 25-22.
- Set Two: The teams traded the first eight points of the second set before Upstate took the lead for good the following play with a kill from Brianna Tellschow. Leading 11-10 midway, the Spartans broke the set open courtesy of a 9-2 run and led 20-12 when Yeargin connected on a kill. Upstate held off a late Lipscomb rally to capture the frame 25-21 off a kill by Montana Swanson.
- Set Three: After Haake and Koelling tied the score at 3-3 early in the third set on a combination block, the Bisons went on a 9-4 run to go in front 12-7 and force a Spartan timeout. Following the timeout, Lipscomb continued its run and would take a 22-12 lead on a kill by Lauren Anderson. A service ace by Maddie Phillips gave the Bisons the 25-15 victory.
- Set Four: Lipscomb began the fourth set on a 7-3 run until Upstate cut its deficit down to two points twice with the last coming at 8-6 after a Bison service error. Lipscomb led the rest of the way and held its largest lead of the set at nine points three times. The Spartans got as close as six points when Yeargin made the score 18-12 with her kill. The Bisons won the set by a score of 25-16 on a kill from Nusbaum.
- Upstate concludes its three-match road trip next Saturday, Oct. 22 with a 1 p.m. contest at NJIT.