Spartanburg, S.C. – Madison Haake recorded her second straight double-double, and Emily Koelling and Montana Swanson combined for 25 kills, as the USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the Lipscomb Bisons 3-2 (27-25, 25-22, 19-25, 17-25, 8-15) Friday evening inside the Hodge Center.
Upstate falls to 11-15 on the season and 3-6 in ASUN play, while Lipscomb improves to 15-7 overall and 7-2 in the conference.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake compiled her conference-leading 17th double-double of the season as the sophomore led the Spartans with 36 assists and 10 digs, while adding five assisted blocks.
- Koelling posted a team-high 15 kills for Upstate and Swanson contributed 10.
- Haake and Callie Yeargin were two of three Spartans that had double-digit digs as Kaleigh Kelley compiled a team-best 14.
- Brianna Tellschow set a new career-high with nine blocks (two solo, seven assisted) in the contest.
- Carlyle Nusbaum led the Bisons with a double-double on 21 kills, a match-high, and 12 digs.
- Kayla Ostrom and Morgan Elmore combined for 64 assists, and Brittany Thomas led all players with 24 digs.
- Lipscomb out-hit Upstate .259 to .127, but the Spartans held an 11.0 to 6.0 advantage in blocks.
- Set One: The opening set featured 11 ties over the first 32 points as Upstate led by as many as two points three times with the last coming at 12-10 on a combination block from Haake and Tellschow. Nusbaum would give the Bisons a 22-20 lead late, but the Spartans fought back to take a 24-23 advantage on Haake's service ace. The teams traded the next several points before an attack error and Tellschow solo block gave Upstate the 27-25 win.
- Set Two: The Spartans jumped out in front 8-5 to start the second set capped by a kill from Haake. Lipscomb used an 11-7 run to go ahead 16-15 after a bad set, and then led 20-18 off an Upstate attack error. The Spartans finished the frame on a 7-2 run and earned the 25-22 triumph on a kill by Dominique Arnold.
- Set Three: Upstate held a slight 9-8 lead early in the third set when Haake and Tellschow teamed up for a block, and maintained its one-point cushion at 11-10 on another block from Haake and Koelling. The Bisons broke the set open courtesy of a 10-2 run and went in front 20-13 on Taylor Racich's kill. The Spartans attempted a late rally by cutting their deficit to 20-16 with a kill by Swanson. Lipscomb went on to win the set 25-19.
- Set Four: The Bisons began the fourth set on a 12-4 run and went ahead by eight on back-to-back kills from Nusbaum and Lauren Anderson. Lipscomb held its largest lead of the frame at 21-11 on Nusbaum's kill. Upstate scored five straight points after that and trailed 21-16 following two Bison errors. Lipscomb earned the 25-17 victory on a service ace.
- Set Five: The Spartans scored five of the first six points of the fifth set and led 5-1 on an attack error by Nusbaum. The Bisons tied the score at 6-6 after registering the next five points, and took the lead the following play off an Upstate attack error. Tied 7-7 midway in the set, Lipscomb closed out the frame on an 8-1 run to win 15-8.
- The Spartans host Kennesaw State on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.