Spartanburg, S.C. – Emily Koelling and Kaleigh Kelley each achieved new career milestones on Sunday afternoon as the USC Upstate volleyball team dropped a 3-2 (19-25, 25-16, 18-25, 25-23, 8-15) decision to the Kennesaw State Owls inside the Hodge Center.
Upstate falls to 11-16 overall and 3-7 in the ASUN, while Kennesaw State improves to 15-9 on the season and 9-1 in conference play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Koelling became the 12th player in program history to have 1,000 kills in her career while Kelley is the 13th player to exceed 1,000 career digs. Both are the first players to surpass their respective mark since former Spartan Kayla Eversgerd.
- Madison Haake and Callie Yeargin both recorded double-doubles in the match. Haake contributed 38 assists and 12 digs to pick up her 18th double-double of the season, while Yeargin adds her seventh on 12 kills and 16 digs.
- Koelling and Montana Swanson both had 11 kills, and Kelley tallied 21 digs.
- Kristi Piedimonte and Anaiah Boyer led the Owls with a double-double each. Katarina Morton tied Kelley with a match-high 21 digs.
- Kennesaw State out-hit Upstate .285 to .178, but the Spartans held an 8.0 to 7.0 advantage in blocks.
- Set One: The teams traded the first 16 points of the first set before the Owls went ahead 10-8 on Boyer's service ace. Upstate rallied back to take an 18-17 lead after a kill by Haake. Kennesaw State finished the set on an 8-0 run to win 25-19.
- Set Two: The Spartans opened the second set on a 10-3 run and led by seven following a KSU attack error. Upstate increased its advantage to 19-10 midway when Swanson connected on a kill. The Spartans held their largest lead at 21-11 on another kill from Swanson. Brianna Tellschow captured the set for Upstate at 25-16 with her service ace.
- Set Three: The third set began in similar fashion as the first with the score tied at 7-7 on Rachel Taylor's kill. Kennesaw State used a 14-5 run after that to go in front 21-13. The Spartans would trim their deficit to six points late, but the Owls earned the 25-18 victory with a kill.
- Set Four: Upstate scored seven of the first 10 points of the fourth set and led 7-3 off a bad set by Piedimonte. The Spartans maintained their four-point cushion at 13-9 on Koelling's kill. Kennesaw State answered back to even the score at 17-17 beginning a stretch where the score would be tied three times. Koelling reeled off three of the final four points for Upstate to win the set 25-23.
- Set Five: The Owls compiled five of the initial six points of the fifth set to lead 5-1. Behind the serving of Tellschow, the Spartans would make it 5-5 capped off by her service ace. Upstate stayed within striking distance when Koelling made the score 8-6 on her kill. Kennesaw State held the Spartans to just two points after that en route to the 15-8 triumph.
- Upstate hits the road for the final time next weekend when it travels to Jacksonville and North Florida.