Jacksonville, Fla. – The USC Upstate volleyball team began its final road trip of the season Friday evening by falling to the Jacksonville Dolphins 3-1 (26-28, 25-19, 22-25, 21-25) in ASUN action from Historic Swisher Gym.
The Spartans fall to 11-17 on the season and 3-8 in conference play, while Jacksonville improves to 8-16 overall and 4-7 in the league.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Montana Swanson recorded a career-high 17 kills to lead Upstate offensively and had a double-double after tallying 22 digs, two shy of tying her career-best.
- Swanson was joined in double-figures by Emily Koelling who had 16 kills and hit .467 for match.
- Madison Haake added a double-double along with Swanson after finishing with 46 assists and 16 digs.
- The Spartans had five players finish with 10 or more digs in the contest led by Kaleigh Kelley with 34. Callie Yeargin also contributed 14 digs and Rebecca Shearer 13.
- Cristina Finan, Jizzyan Gesualdo and Mallory Mattingly all had double-doubles for the Dolphins.
- JU out-hit Upstate .157 to .134 in the match, but the Spartans held a 107-106 advantage in digs and led 6.0-5.0 in blocks.
- Set One: Upstate jumped out to an 11-7 lead in the opening set after a Jacksonville attack error. The Dolphins would come back to tie the set at 12-12 and then went ahead 20-18 several plays later. Upstate responded by taking the lead back at 21-20 on a service ace by Alexa Lagaly. The teams traded the next 11 points and sat tied 26-26 when Brianna Tellschow connected on a kill. Jacksonville scored the final two points to win 28-26.
- Set Two: The Spartans began the second set on a 6-2 run and used a JU attack error to lead by four. The Dolphins then recorded five of the next six points to even the score at 7-7. The score sat tied five times after that before Upstate scored four straight points to lead 18-14 capped by a solo block from Koelling. After Jacksonville cut the Spartans advantage to 23-19, Upstate used a ball handling error and kill by Yeargin to capture the set 25-19.
- Set Three: A kill by Tellschow gave Upstate a 7-6 lead to start the third set until the Dolphins picked up the next four points to take the lead for good. The Spartans stayed within striking distance, trailing by just three points for a majority of the frame. Behind 16-12 midway, Upstate went on a quick 5-1 run to even the score at 17-17 off Shearer's service ace. Jacksonville went back up by three at 20-17, but the Spartans trimmed their deficit down to one point three times with the last coming when a service error made the score 23-22. JU collected the final two points to earn the 25-22 victory.
- Set Four: Upstate compiled four of the first five points of the fourth set and led 4-1 on a kill by Yeargin. Jacksonville tied the score courtesy of a 7-4 run and took its largest lead at 16-11 with a kill from Finan. The Spartans rallied back to within two points, 22-20, late when Yeargin and Tellschow teamed up for a block. The Dolphins ended the set on a 3-1 run for the 25-21 triumph.
- Upstate plays its final regular season road match Saturday evening at 5 p.m. against North Florida.