Jacksonville, Fla. – The USC Upstate volleyball team is going to the postseason for the first time in the Division I era, earning a spot in the ASUN Volleyball Championship following a 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-22) sweep of the North Florida Ospreys Saturday evening inside UNF Arena.
Upstate improves to 12-17 on the season and 4-8 in conference play, while North Florida falls to 18-11 overall and 8-4 in the league.
"I will take a quote from my late Dad, 'it's the girl's fault,'" said head coach Jennifer Calloway. "That was a gutsy performance by our entire team. That is what I love about this team. They believe in the system and the process, that is what it's about. I asked each of them for their strength today and they did it."
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Callie Yeargin tied her career-high in kills after leading the Spartans with 18 while Montana Swanson added 10.
- Swanson and Madison Haake both had double-doubles for Upstate as Swanson compiled 10 kills and 10 digs while Haake contributed 37 assists and 12 digs.
- The duo were two of four players to finish with double-digit digs along with Kaleigh Kelley (20) and Rebecca Shearer (16).
- Gabby O'Connell led the Ospreys with a double-double on 19 kills and 10 digs.
- The Spartans out-hit North Florida .195 to .153 and held a 72-64 advantage in digs.
- Set One: Upstate fell behind early in the first set after the Ospreys began on a 5-1 run. North Florida held its largest lead of the frame at 15-8 on a Spartan attack error. Trailing 21-16 late, Upstate rallied back with an 8-3 run to tie the score at 24-24 when Yeargin connected on a kill. Swanson picked up the last two kills to give the Spartans the 26-24 win.
- Set Two: Upstate traded the first 16 points of the second set and tied the score, 8-8, on Shearer's service ace. The Ospreys led by three points twice after that until the Spartans fought back to even the score at 16-16 on a bad set. Upstate concluded the frame on an 11-1 run to earn the 25-17 victory.
- Set Three: The Spartans broke the third set open courtesy of a 12-2 run to start and led by 10 points following a kill by Koelling. Yeargin gave Upstate a 21-13 advantage with her kill before North Florida attempted a late rally. The Ospreys cut the Spartans lead down to 24-21 late with a kill from O'Connell. Upstate held off the rally to win 25-22 on Alexa Lagaly's kill to complete the three-set sweep.
- The Spartans conclude their regular season next weekend beginning on Friday, Nov. 11 at 6 p.m. against Florida Gulf Coast.