Spartanburg, S.C. – Callie Yeargin and Madison Haake collected double-doubles on Friday evening as the USC Upstate volleyball team fell to the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles 3-2 (15-25, 25-19, 12-25, 25-21, 7-15) inside the Hodge Center.
Upstate falls to 12-18 overall and 4-9 in the conference, while Florida Gulf Coast improves to 24-5 on the season and 10-3 in league play.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake recorded her conference-leading 21st double-double on the season after finishing with 45 assists and 14 digs, and fell just one kill shy of her third triple-double with nine.
- Yeargin contributed her eighth double-double of the year on 10 kills and 11 digs.
- Emily Koelling had a team-high 14 kills for the Spartans and Kaleigh Kelley tied Haake with 14 digs.
- Amanda Carroll led all players with a match-high 30 kills and posted a double-double on 18 digs.
- Maggie Rick dished out 64 assists for the Eagles.
- FGCU out-hit Upstate .432 to .247 in the match.
- Set One: The Eagles began the first set on a 7-2 run and led by five on Carroll's service ace. The Spartans managed to cut their deficit down to three, 9-6, on a kill by Dominique Arnold. Florida Gulf Coast broke the set open courtesy of a 10-3 run to lead 19-9. FGCU held its largest lead of the frame at 23-12, and took the set 25-15.
- Set Two: Upstate captured five of the first six points of the second set and would lead 6-2 off another kill from Arnold. FGCU fought back to even the score at 12-12, but kills by Yeargin and Koelling put the Spartans ahead 15-12. Upstate recorded three more points following a timeout by the Eagles, and went in front 23-16 on Haake's kill. Koelling gave the Spartans the 25-19 win with her kill.
- Set Three: Florida Gulf Coast scored seven consecutive points to open the third set to hold a 7-0 advantage. Upstate got as close as five, 11-6, on a kill by Rebecca Shearer. FGCU increased its advantage to 20-10 midway, forcing a timeout by the Spartans. Carroll had the final four kills as FGCU picked up the 25-12 victory.
- Set Four: The teams traded the opening 18 points of the fourth set before Brianna Tellschow put Upstate in front 10-9 on her kill. Tellschow gave the Spartans a 17-13 lead several plays later. Upstate would push its lead out to 23-18 before FGCU cut the score to 23-20. Haake and Yeargin combined for the final two kills as the Spartans won 25-21.
- Set Five: After Haake gave Upstate an early 3-2 lead in the fifth set, the Eagles used a 5-2 run to take the lead for good at 7-3. A combination block by Carroll and Daniele Serrano gave FGCU the 15-7 set triumph and 3-2 match victory.
- The Spartans close out the regular season Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. against Stetson. It is also Senior Day for Upstate as it will honor Koelling and Alexa Lagaly following the match.