Spartanburg, S.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team wrapped up its regular season on Sunday afternoon with a 3-0 (25-16, 25-16, 25-17) sweep over the Stetson Hatters on Senior Day from the Hodge Center.
Upstate concludes the regular season with a 13-18 overall record and 5-9 conference mark, while Stetson ends its season at 4-25 overall and 1-13 in the league.
With the win, the Spartans clinched the fifth-seed in next week's ASUN Volleyball Championship that will be held in Nashville, Tenn.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Playing in the final home matches of their career, seniors Emily Koelling and Alexa Lagaly combined for 18 kills with Koelling contributing a team-high 12 and Lagaly six.
- Madison Haake recorded her conference-leading 22nd double-double of the season on 32 assists and 11 digs.
- Kaleigh Kelley added a match-high 21 digs while Rebecca Shearer collected 12.
- Madison Akins led the Hatters with a double-double of 13 kills and 16 digs.
- Upstate out-hit Stetson .250 to .025 for the match and held a 10.0-6.0 advantage in blocks.
- Set One: The Spartans started the first set on a 10-4 run and went ahead by six on a combination block by Haake and Brianna Tellschow. The Hatters cut the lead down to four, 15-11, but Upstate responded by pushing its advantage back out to 20-12 on a kill by Tellschow. A Stetson service error gave the Spartans the 25-16 victory.
- Set Two: After trading the opening six points of the second set, Upstate reeled off a 6-2 run to go in front 9-5 off Callie Yeargin's service ace. The Spartans continued to increase their lead midway when an attack error by the Hatters made the score 19-11. Upstate took its largest lead of nine points three times with the last coming when Lagaly and Gloria Ikenegbu teamed up for a block as it captured the frame 25-16.
- Set Three: The teams exchanged the opening ten points of the third set until the Spartans scored six consecutive to lead 11-5 off a Stetson attack error. The Hatters managed to cut Upstate's lead down to three midway at 15-12. The Spartans broke the set open courtesy of a 7-3 run as they led 22-15 following a solo block from Tellschow. Koelling capped off the three-set victory with a kill as Upstate won the third set 25-17.
- The fifth-seeded Spartans will face No. 4 seed North Florida on Thursday, Nov. 17 at 6 p.m. EST in the opening match of the 2016 ASUN Volleyball Championship. The tournament is being played at Lipscomb's Allen Arena.