Nashville, Tenn. – The USC Upstate volleyball team saw its season come to an end Friday evening during the semifinals of the ASUN Volleyball Championship as the Spartans fell to the top-seeded Lipscomb Bisons 3-0 (19-25, 15-25, 18-25) inside Allen Arena.
Upstate finishes the season with a 14-19 overall record while Lipscomb improves to 21-7 on the year.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Kaleigh Kelley became the program's single-season record holder for digs after finishing with a team-high 11 in the contest. The junior surpassed Erin Hagemann for first place and concluded the year with 595 digs.
- Emily Koelling led the Spartans offensively with seven kills and finishes her career with 1,073. With her seven kills against the Bisons, Koelling moved into eighth place all-time for career kills past Amber Glass (2002-04) and Stephanie Coff (2001-04).
- Madison Haake dished out a match-high 23 assists and added seven digs.
- Carlyle Nusbaum led all players with a double-double on 16 kills and 13 digs.
- Morgan Elmore and Kayla Ostrom combined for 42 assists, and Brittany Thomas tallied a match-high 18 digs.
- The Bisons out-hit the Spartans .292 to .092 for the match.
- Set One: The teams traded the opening 16 points of the first set with Upstate holding the lead twice. Two Lipscomb attack errors gave the Spartans a 10-8 advantage, but the Bisons scored four straight to go back in front 12-10. Lipscomb took its largest lead of the frame at 20-16 on a kill by Lauren Anderson. Upstate fought back to cut its deficit down to 21-19 following a kill from Koelling, and a combination block from Koelling and Callie Yeargin. The Bisons recorded the final four points to win 25-19.
- Set Two: Lipscomb began the second set on a 10-4 run and led by as many as 14-6 on Maddie Phillips' kill. The Spartans used back-to-set attack errors to trim the lead down to 14-9 midway. Yeargin and Brianna Tellschow kept Upstate close at 19-12 after posting back-to-back kills. The Bisons took their largest lead of the set at 23-12 courtesy of a kill by Phillips. Anderson earned Lipscomb the 25-15 set victory with her kill.
- Set Three: The Spartans trailed by just one point early in the third set when Montana Swanson connected on a kill to make the score 4-3. The Bisons broke the set open after going on a 13-6 run to take a 17-9 lead after a kill from Katie Bradley. Upstate was able to get back to within six points, 24-18, late after a Lipscomb service error. The Bisons captured the set, and match, the following play.