Winston-Salem, N.C. – The USC Upstate volleyball team had a season-high ten blocks and took the Wake Forest Demon Deacons to the fifth set on Saturday morning, but the Spartans fell 3-2 in their second match of the Demon Deacon Invitational at LJVM Coliseum.
Upstate falls to 2-7 overall while Wake Forest improves to 6-2 on the season.
The Demon Deacons won the match by scores of 25-22, 17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 15-7.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Wake Forest held a .148 to .107 advantage over the Spartans in hitting percentage.
- Madison Haake compiled her first triple-double of the season, and ninth of her career, with a season-high 17 kills to go with 21 assists and 15 digs for Upstate.
- Lily Dempsey added 11 kills, while Kaleigh Kelley had 22 digs and Callie Yeargin 15.
- Rebecca Shearer just missed on her first double-double of the season with 17 assists and nine digs.
- Bailey Shurbet, Kylie Long and Caroline Wolf each recorded double-doubles for the Demon Deacons.
- Long led Wake Forest with 16 kills, Shurbet 45 assists and Wolf 37 digs.
- Set One: The opening set featured a total of ten ties and five lead changes. The Demon Deacons began the set on a 6-2 run before the Spartans answered with a 9-5 run of their own to tie the set at 11-11 on Yeargin's kill. Upstate led by as many as three points midway when a Wake Forest attack error made the score 18-15. The Demon Deacons managed to tie the score at 20-20 late and finished on a 5-2 run to win 25-22.
- Set Two: The Spartans started the second set scoring nine of the first 13 points to lead 9-4. McKenna Kirkpatrick increased Upstate's lead midway in the frame to 17-11 with her kill until Wake Forest cut the advantage to 18-15 a few plays later. The Spartans held the Demon Deacons to just two points the rest of the way as part of a 7-2 run. Upstate won the set 25-17 after a Wake Forest attack error.
- Set Three: The Demon Deacons went on a 6-1 run to begin the third set. The Spartans came back to within one point, 7-6, after Dempsey collected back-to-back service aces. Kirkpatrick and Dempsey later combined for three straight points to give Upstate a 16-15 lead. The score would be tied six times the remainder of the set and went even at 24-24 late on a kill by Gloria Ikenegbu. Wake Forest scored the final two points to win 26-24.
- Set Four: The teams traded the first 12 points of the fourth set until a combination block put the Demon Deacons in front 12-8. The Spartans recorded the next four points to tie the score again at 12-12 on a kill from Ikenegbu. Upstate trailed 20-17 late in the set but finished on an 8-3 run. Haake and Yeargin scored the final two points for the Spartans to pick up the 25-23 triumph.
- Set Five: Haake secured two kills in the first five points to give Upstate an early 3-2 lead in the fifth set. Wake Forest responded with five consecutive points for a 7-3 advantage. The Spartans would get as close as 8-5 after that on a kill by Dempsey. The Demon Deacons scored the last three points for the 15-7 victory.
- Upstate closes out play at the Demon Deacon Invitational at 4:30 p.m. versus William & Mary.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).