Winston-Salem, N.C. – Madison Haake picked up her second triple-double of the day on Saturday as the USC Upstate volleyball team closed out play at the Demon Deacon Invitational with a 3-2 victory over the William & Mary Tribe at Wake Forest's LJVM Coliseum.
Upstate improves to 3-7 on the season while William & Mary falls to 2-8 overall.
The Spartans won the match by scores of 25-22, 25-19, 20-25, 16-25, 15-8.
STATS OF THE MATCH
- Haake finished the contest with a team-leading 13 kills and added 20 assists and 13 digs for her second triple-double of the season and tenth of her career.
- Lily Dempsey contributed 11 kills to give her three straight matches with ten or more kills.
- Rebecca Shearer added 15 assists and eight digs, while Kaleigh Kelley led the team with 14 digs.
- Montana Swanson also concluded the match with 10 digs.
- Katie Kemp posted a double-double for the Tribe and Sydney Biniak led all players with 29 kills.
- Autumn Brenner added 32 assists and Lauren Moussaid 20 digs.
- The Tribe held a .223 to .200 advantage in hitting percentage but Upstate led 9.0 to 3.0 in total team blocks.
- Haake was selected to the Demon Deacon Invitational All-Tournament Team.
- Set One: The Spartans opened the first set on a 7-3 run and took a four-point lead on a service ace by Haake. After the Tribe cut the deficit down to one, Upstate stretched its lead out to 13-8 on a kill from McKenna Kirkpatrick. Dempsey later made the score 16-10 in favor of the Spartans with her service ace. William & Mary managed to cut the Upstate lead down to one point several times late with the last coming at 20-19. The Spartans scored five of the final eight points to win 25-22 after Haake connected on a kill.
- Set Two: Upstate trailed 8-6 early in the second set but came back with an 11-3 run to increase its advantage to 17-11 on a Tribe attack error. The Spartans continued to lead by six late when a combination block from Gloria Ikenegbu and Brianna Tellschow gave them a 21-15 advantage. After William & Mary cut the score to 21-18, forcing an Upstate timeout, the Spartans recorded four of the final five points to win 25-19 on another combination block by Ikenegbu and Dempsey.
- Set Three: Swanson gave Upstate a 7-5 lead early in the third set following her kill. The score would later be tied at 12-12 on Haake's kill. The Tribe took the lead for good with an 8-3 run, including five straight points, to go ahead 20-15. A bad set by William & Mary allowed the Spartans to cut their deficit down to 22-20. The Tribe scored the last three points for the 25-20 victory.
- Set Four: William & Mary would send the match into the fifth set after winning the fourth 25-16. The teams exchanged the first ten points before the Tribe took an 11-9 lead several plays later. William & Mary broke the set open with a 9-4 run and led 20-13 late. Biniak won the frame for the Tribe with her kill.
- Set Five: Upstate started the fifth set on a strong note registering the first three points with two coming on combination blocks. William & Mary trimmed the lead to 6-4 but the Spartans responded with a 5-1 run and led 11-5 on a service ace from Haake. Upstate scored four of the final seven points to take the set 15-8 capped by a combination block from Dempsey and Kirkpatrick.
- The Spartans travel to Knoxville, Tenn. next weekend to face Furman, Tennessee and Marshall at the Rocky Top Invitational.
Follow Upstate volleyball on Facebook (UpstateAthletics), Twitter (@UpstateVB), Instagram (@upstatespartans), YouTube (USCUpstateAthletics) and text/e-mail alerts (www.upstatespartans.com/list-signup).